As part of the 64th National conference of the Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India at Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, a half-day Workshop will be conducted on “Exercise Physiology”.
Proposed title of the workshop: Exercise Physiology
Proposed duration: 4 Hrs
Target participants/learners: Under graduate, post-graduate students, Researchers, Doctoral students, Early career Faculty, Scientists, (maximum of 20 participants per session), Physicians
The workshop aims
- To impart knowledge in assessing physiological responses associated with exercise
- To gain insights of various protocols in aerobic exercise testing and metabolic cart demonstrations
The deliberations will focus on demonstrating the utility of these techniques in research, field sports and clinical settings.
Techniques and modalities covered:
|Domain||Parameter measured||Technique used|
|Physiology of Exercise||Theory – Various systems||–|
|Resting energy expenditure||· RMR||Fitmat|
|Aerobic Exercise Test||· Ventilatory parameters (VE, VO2, VCO2, RER, ventilatory Equivalents
· Cardiac – Heart rate, cardiac output, Oxygen pulse
Metabolic – Lactate threshold, anerobic
|Indirect Calorimeter (FitMat, K5)
Various treadmill and bicycle (Maximal and submaximal)
Conduct of the scientific sessions:
- Initial session would involve brief presentations on key areas of workshop stating the principles and physiological basis of each test.
|Physiology of exercise||Ramesh MG & Shifra Fernandes||9-9:45 AM|
|Test selection, procedures||Fiddy Davis||9:45 – 10:30|
1. Bruce Protocol with K5
|10:30 – 11:30|
|2. RMR||Baskaran C||11:30 – 12:30|
- Demonstration and Interactive Hands on Session
Demonstration of exercise tests and resting metabolic rate determination
- Question- Answer Session
(Time required = 10 mins approximately)
This will be followed by a joint session for clarifications or questions if any by the participants.
- Feedback session
(Time required = 5 mins approximately)
At the end of the session, we will have a feedback from the participants on whether the workshop proved fruitful and met their expectations and any other comments/ advice for further improvement.
List of resource faculty and resource persons
- Title: Physiology of exercise; Resource Faculty: Ramesh MG & Shifra Fernandes
- Title: Test Selection and Procedures; Resource Faculty: Fiddy Davis
- Title: Bruce Protocol with K5; Resource Faculty: Tulasi Ram
- Title: RMR; Resource Faculty: Baskaran C